For information about the program, email email@example.com!
To be notified of Aptitude Test dates, subscribe to the sdt-updates email list here! (click "Subscribe" in the menu on the left)
UT Austin offers paid positions to learn on-the-job how to support administrative and business applications for the University. We seek people with strong communication skills, who can analyze and solve complex problems, and like to work collaboratively. To be eligible to apply, you must first pass an aptitude test. The test is not technical. It evaluates your ability to solve problems. Previous programming experience is not required, although some hiring departments may consider it an asset. After an initial training period of approximately six months, you may be eligible to be promoted to be a Software Developer.
Responsibilities of the trainee position will include:
- Conducting a full range of programming tasks including analysis, coding, and debugging of complex program logic.
- Establish test procedures; test, and debug programs.
- Determining data needs and entity relationships; design database structures for efficient and effective data storage and retrieval.
- Developing user-friendly, standards-compliant application interfaces.
- Determining clients' business requirements, evaluate alternatives, and make recommendations to meet business constraints and satisfy existing and future software needs, adhering to software coding and documentation standards.
- Communicating with and training internal and external clients.
- Efficiently managing time and resources within a software development project.
Aptitude Test & Application Process
Applicants to the program must pass an aptitude test and submit an employment application.
Step 1: Schedule yourself to take the Software Developer Aptitude Test*. Applicants with disabilities or any accommodation request in the testing process can contact Human Resources at (512) 471-4772 or email HRSC@austin.utexas.edu for assistance.
*A UT EID (UT online account) is required to view this page. Visit the UT EID Self-Service Tools site to create an EID or determine if have forgotten your UT EID or password and need to reset it.
About the test:
- The test assumes no prior programming experience and is not a coding exercise.
- The test is timed and proctored; allow at least two hours for the test.
- A test grade of "A" must be made to apply for the position.
- The test may be taken once every 24 months.
Step 2: Check your score
Your grade will be posted online within a week of your test date. If you made an “A” on the test, you are qualified to apply for any available "Software Developer Trainee" position(s) posted on the UT Jobs site.
Step 3: Submit your application
Submit your application online, or go to the Employment Center in UT Administration Building (UTA) at 1616 Guadalupe St. Room 1.408, Austin TX, 78701. Applying for a Software Developer Trainee position must occur after taking the test.
About Diversity & UT Austin
We believe the best ideas are born from sharing viewpoints, opinions, and perceptions from colleagues with varied backgrounds and experiences; through the Software Developer Training program, we seek to recruit a highly diverse pool of candidates. As an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, we comply with all applicable federal and state laws regarding nondiscrimination and affirmative action.
Find more information about the University's diversity, equity, and inclusion initiatives here.
For questions, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
About the Hiring Departments (Spring 2023)
AIS manages systems and provides IT support services within the Office of Executive Vice President and Provost related to admissions, registration, financial aid, and other student information systems and processes central to university operations.
Enterprise Business IT Solutions (eBITS) is a business IT organization that partners with University central business offices and stakeholders to leverage a sole point of contact for enterprise systems, data, support and services. Via systems and data management, eBITS provides IT support services related to financial accounting and reporting, human capital management, payroll, research administration, and more. eBITS also provides customer support through its help desk and knowledgebase accesd by all of campus.